Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cornbread Salad



"The difference in winning and losing is most often... not quitting."

-Walt Disney
 1901-1966, Animator and Film Producer





We were at the Hood River, Oregon, County Fair, when we had lunch at one of the booths, Apple Valley BBQ (also a local store and BBQ restaurant) when I first heard the words, "cornbread salad."These were one of the choices given when the girl behind the counter asked us what side we wanted with our pulled pork sandwiches. I asked her to kindly repeat herself when I heard the two words I'm not used to hearing together.



I used Jiffy cornbread mix to make it easy


"What? Cornbread salad? What the heck is that, I asked." Her reply was, "it's good." I needed no convincing.



Twinbrook Creamery milk, people, this is the best milk on the planet! If you don't live in Western Washington, I urge you to seek out a small dairy that has only Jersey cows. Jersey milk is sweeter, richer, and has a higher protein content. Go to a place like Local Harvest to find a local dairy farm that provides milk from the breed.


I tried the cornbread crumb mixture which was mixed with bacon, red bell pepper, and red onions and called salad. It was delicious, simple, homey. It was a little looser than stuffing, but not dry. Tasty stuff indeed.




I love cornbread, and I enjoyed this salad, so I wanted to make my own. One thing I couldn't figure out. What was binding it together? And was there a secret ingredient? I gathered all of my courage and proceeded back to the stand to ask for a recipe.

The man behind the booth was very kind and helpful. He told me it was his aunt's recipe. Cornbread, red bell pepper, red onions, bacon and some mayo to hold it together. That's it! Simple family recipes, My favorite.




I searched the Internet for other cornbread salad recipes, to see if I could add anything to the party. To my surprise, I found many well loved recipes. I added black beans and corn to mine, from another's suggestion. In addition to mayo, I also added some Italian salad dressing I had in the fridge for a little acid and more dimension of flavor. Some other tasty additions, green chilies and cumin. Tomatoes would also be good. Go crazy! Add what sounds good to you. I also read of a recipe where someone added pickles and pickle juice for the acid element. An interesting and tasty idea, I thought.

This is a great Summer recipe. Perfect for a picnic or potluck.



Square Vintage silver tray, Red "lobster" napkins, fleur de lis bowls, and Sheffield England Silver Spoons, available at my Etsy Shop, House of Lucien.

 
Never miss a post! Like The Alchemist on Facebook!



Cornbread Salad

adapted by a recipe from Apple Valley BBQ (If you're ever in Parkdale, Oregon, stop by for some tasty BBQ!)

I used Jiffy cornbread mix, to make it as easy on myself as possible. Next time I make it I will use my favorite cornbread recipe, Double Cornbread since cornbread is the main ingredient, you want it to be tasty. Or use your favorite cornbread recipe.

This is a rough recipe. I didn't measure when I made it, this is by memory, if you're the type that needs a more solid recipe and doesn't like to wing it, I would understand if you sought out another recipe.

Ingredients

2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix and the ingredients to make it (4 eggs and some milk, check the box for proportions)

1 red bell pepper, chopped small

Red onion - about a half of an onion, or more to your taste, diced small

12 oz (340 g.). bacon, about 8-10 slices, cooked and chopped

1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained well

1 can (15 oz) corn, rinsed and drained well- or use a few ears cooked corn, cut off the cob

salt and pepper to taste

Mayonnaise - about 1/2 cup (118 ml) - 1 cup (237 ml.)

Italian salad dressing or vinaigrette - a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup (59 ml.)

Directions

Make the cornbread according to the directions on the box, except use 2 boxes and double the eggs and milk. Pour it all into a 9 inch  greased square pan as advised on the package for 1 box. It will just be a little taller. Mine took me just 10 minutes more than what was called for on the box, 30 ish minutes. When it's done, let it cool.

Crumble the cornbread into a large bowl. Stir all of the ingredients except the mayo and salad dressing together with the cornbread. Start by adding the smaller amount of mayo and a few tablespoons of Italian dressing and stir. Add more mayo and salad dressing if it needs it, tasting as you go to see what's needed. You don't want it too wet, and you don't want it too loose. Enough so it just holds together. Let it sit an hour before you serve it in the fridge to let the flavors marry.


8 comments:

Sarah said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Heather Green said...

Oooo! I want some! Thanks for the recipe!

Miz Helen said...

Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday, that runs from Saturday till Thursday @ www.serenityyou.com

Claire Justine said...

Sounds so tasty :) thanks for linking up with us at Creative Mondays...

Mixed Kreations said...

Yum! That looks really good will have to try it. Pinning and sharing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Wow this looks delicious! Looks like comfort food to me :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

keri @ shaken together said...

YUM!! Our local BBQ place has a corn bread salad too that is one of my favorites! I'll be featuring this a little later today :)