Thursday, March 31, 2011

Double Cornbread



"I once read cooking is something you do for your family. But when you’re alone you sometimes have to treat yourself like family. And now that my apartment’s redolent with the smell of food it feels more like a home than a box where I hang my hat."

From the book, Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

The quote above is perfect for how I was feeling. I was eating some chili mixed with pasta, something I eat when I can't think of what to eat, and started craving cornbread. I love cornbread. I was alone, so it would be just for me. Did I really want to take the time to make a batch of cornbread just for myself? My husband doesn't even really like cornbread, so it would be just me eating the leftovers also.

Why is it that if someone else, say my husband, asked me to make it for him, done. Of course I'd make it for him. Why don't I have the same consideration for me?

So as a declaration to myself, as to say, "I am as deserving as another", I made the cornbread.

It hit the spot.

And I was happy.

ready to go into the oven

This is my favorite cornbread recipe of all time. It's full of corn flavor and exceptionally moist. I've been making it for years. It comes from an old Mc Calls cookbook from the 60's I found at a Los Angeles thrift store. While living in L.A. pursuing my acting career, I didn't cook often. But every few months I would turn to this cookbook for recipes of old fashioned favorites like this.

I love this cornbread recipe so much I haven't made another since.



So if you are craving something and it's only for you, I recommend making it.

You're worth it.

Double Cornbread

makes one 9 inch square pan

adapted from a recipe from Mc Calls Cookbook

Ingredients

1 cup (150 g.) all purpose flour
1 cup (163 g.)  yellow cornmeal
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup (47 g.) sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (250 ml) milk
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 can 15 oz. (430 g.) cream style corn

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit, 220 Celsius, Gas Mark 7. Grease a 9x9 inch square pan.

In a large bowl whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar together, set aside.

In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the milk, melted butter and corn. Add the flour mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are moistened. Don't over mix.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Or until it passes a toothpick test.

Serve warm with butter and honey.

16 comments:

Amanda said...

I also sometimes cook something only for me. My guy and I don't like much of the same thing. I eat much healthier than him.

I am going to cook more for myself, if it's only for me,

I AM WORTH IT!

The Alchemist said...

Amanda-you go girl, You are definately worth it!

Becky said...

I was very surprised to see this post, since I've always considered it regional to Indiana!

I've learned to make cornbread this way my whole life from my mother, who in turn learned it from a nursing home patient she once cared for when she first arrived in the state. It's a lot moister than traditional southern cornbread in a skillet, or the almost cake like cornbread you see in the northeast.

The only difference? We add whole corn kernels to the mix too!

The Alchemist said...

Becky- it seems as if our elders have been using this recipe (or similar) for many many years.

Whole corn sounds like a great addition. I should try it. Then it would be triple cornbread. Thanks for sharing the info!

me said...

hey thanks for sharing your recipe..will definitely give it a try..you just inspired me..what you just said is really true..i do that most the time..you know cook for someone else..but haven't really tried cooking for myself..

Cheerful said...

great post! thanks for sharing your recipe, sounds delicious! PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...wishing you a great weekend!

The Alchemist said...

kittykat-I'm so glad you've been inspired to cook for yourself.
Thanks for saying so.

Cheerful-thank you and you have a great weekend too!

Anonymous said...

Being in Australia we don't have yellow cornmeal in shops. I'm giving it a red-hot go with Polenta instead - from my research it isn't as finely ground as cornmeal but it should be an acceptable substitute. Wish me luck!

The Alchemist said...

Colinmo- awesome, I hope it turns out well, good luck!

Miz Helen said...

Cornbread is a staple here at our cottage and your recipe is a great one. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Melissa-I'm back again, stealing your yummy corn bread recipe. I just bought a new cast iron cornbread pan...can't wait to try it out.

BTW-On you About Page: I had to chuckle a bit; it was actually Eva Gabor on Green Acres, Zsa Zsa's sister. They looked very much alike!

The Alchemist said...

Elizabeth- ha ha!! I'll have to change that, thanks for telling me!

Anonymous said...

Hello.Ive never done cornbread before but I wanna try your recipe and more of your recipe. I am your newest follower/subscriber.. I hope you can drop by and visit my blog. www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

The Alchemist said...

Marelie- awesome, welcome! I hope you enjoy the cornbread.

I'll check it out!

Kristen said...

My sister in law makes a cornbread that is very similar to this one. It was always really moist and delicious. I am sure this one is a winner!

Anonymous said...

As a (mostly) vegetarian I always have to cook only for me so I'm glad you are cooking only for you too because of course we both deserve it!!!!