Saturday, March 5, 2011

Oatmeal Cake


What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?

 ~Lin Yutang


I grew up eating this cake. My mother made it quite a bit while we were kids. There are quite a bit of oatmeal cake recipes out there, so I'm thinking I'm not the only one.

My sister made this cake when my husband and I came for dinner years ago, and he absolutely fell in love with it. So much so, that every year since, he's wanted it for his birthday, (which was yesterday, March 4th.) I was shocked to hear such a thing.  In the past, his "birthday cake" was a pumpkin pie, his childhood favorite. So this is high praise, him liking a cake this much, as he's never been a cake person.



I think this speaks volumes to how delicious this cake is. It is so incredibly moist, with a taste of brown sugar and butter, with more brown sugar and coconut topping it off.  It's simply scrumptious.

 I make it about once an month, have served it to guests and gotten more raves from this simple cake, as some very elaborate masterpieces.


 
Simple is an understatement. It takes one bowl, one spoon, and one arm, then in the oven it goes.
 
This is my mothers recipe, with a few minor changes. I like a taller cake, so I increased the amounts of the batter, as well as doubling the topping ingredients.
 
I think mom would be proud.
 

Oatmeal Cake
 
makes one 9x13 cake
 
Ingredients
 
1 1/2 cups (120 g.) oats- old fashioned or quick, but not instant
3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) (170 g.) butter, salted or unsalted
2 1/4 cups (532 ml) boiling water
1 1/2 cups (302 g)  brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (288 g) white sugar
4 eggs
2 1/4 (224 g) cups flour
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons vanilla
1 tsp salt
 
Topping
 
1 cup (2 sticks) (228 g) butter
1/2 cup (118 ml) heavy cream
2 cups (402 g) brown sugar
2 cups, 7 oz. (200 g) coconut-I use unsweetened, from a health food store in the bulk section, you can also use sweetened, if you do, I would cut the brown sugar to 1-1 1/2 cups (302 g).
 
Directions
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 4. 

Make the cake batter- Cut the butter into chunks (so it will melt easier) then place the butter and the oats into a large bowl.  Pour the boiling water on top of the oats and butter, and let sit for 15 minutes. Grease a 9x13 pan.
 
Add the rest of the cake ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Pour into prepared pan, Bake for 45 minutes, or until it passes a toothpick test.
 
While the cake is baking, make the topping. Cut up the butter into tablespoon size pieces, and place in a medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add the cream and brown sugar. When all is melted, add the coconut and cook for a minute or two.
 
When the cake is finished baking pour the warm topping over the hot cake.
 
Let cool on the counter. Serve warm or room temperature. Cover the leftovers with foil or plastic wrap.

19 comments:

Kimberly said...

Should the butter (in the batter) be softened, or melted?

This looks fantastic!

The Alchemist said...

Kimberly, sorry I forgot to add that the butter is included with the oats, (I'll fix it now) so it gets melted by the hot water.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Kimberly said...

Oh that really does make it easy, doesn't it! Thanks!

Pam said...

Having had this cake, I can tell you, it is scrumptous! But then I've not had anything at the Alchemist's that wasn't.

Kimberly said...

I have the cake in the oven right now - can't wait!

Is there another frosting you could recommend that doesn't have coconut in it? My family isn't a fan :/

The Alchemist said...

Kimberly-you may be able to make the topping without the coconut, it would be more of a glaze.

Unknown said...

Interesting how different your recipe is from Mine :) for instance I didn't know you used Heavy Cream in the topping. I use sweetened coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Which obviously reduces the Brown sugar to 1 cup I think. :)

The Alchemist said...

hey Mendy, I doubled the topping ingredients, and upped the cake ingredients to make it higher. I use heavy cream in the topping because I always have it in the house. I've been doing it for so long I forgot that the original recipe called for canned milk.

Isabelleathome said...

Looks delicious!

Nicole Pearce said...

Your photos are lovely.

Suprina said...

I must be living under a rock. I have never heard of Oatmeal Cake. I love anything with Oatmeal. I am going to have to try this cake out!

Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) said...

I forgot about this cake- thanks for reminding me with your post!
My Mom made it when I was growing up. Now I need to find my old recipe and compare it with yours!
I can "taste" it just thinking about it!

Tessa said...

This looks great. Sometimes the simple ones really are best =)

Brandy K said...

Oh my gosh...I haven't had this type of cake in decades! It was my favorite growing up...must make it NOW! Thanks so much for posting the recipe. It looks just like the one my mom used to make. Can't wait for it to come out of the oven!!! :))

Laura said...

This looks great. I found you from Lisa's Sweet as Sugar Cookies blog. I think I'll try your cake for my Grandpa and I.

The Alchemist said...

Laura-awesome, I really hope you and your grandpa like it!

Laura said...

Grandpa loved it! I enjoyed it as well. I blogged about it and linked back to you. Thank you for sharing :).

The Alchemist said...

Laura- That's so great to hear!
Thanks for letting me know!

Melanie said...

I didn't know you had made those adjustments to the recipe. I usually have an aversion to canned milk but love the cake. I can't wait to try it your way!