Saturday, March 26, 2011

Carrot Cake Breakfast Rice


"Did you ever stop to taste a carrot? Not just eat it, but taste it? You can't taste the beauty and energy of the earth in a Twinkie."

 ~Astrid Alauda

I like eating different grains for breakfast. Why just stick to oatmeal? This breakfast dish is named, Carrot Cake Breakfast Rice because it has all the flavors of carrot cake, carrots, raisins, nuts, and cinnamon. But it doesn't really taste like carrot cake.

But it is a delicious way to get vegetables into your diet in the a.m.




I saw these exquisite carrots at the Co-op and wanted to eat them.


I don't recommend using these purple carrots for your rice. Sure, they're gorgeous, but the purple color on the outside bleeds into the liquid turning the rice kind of a muddy color. The inside is really white so the carrot itself doesn't read as purple in the finished dish.


This rice was made using only orange and yellow carrots. I used golden raisins and pecans, but regular raisins or currants can be used, and any nut you prefer. I do loved the raisins in this. They plump up and lend a lovely sweetness.

Want something else for breakfast?



 



Carrot Raisin Breakfast Rice

serves 4

Ingredients for rice

1 cup (214 g.) white rice- If you want to use brown rice, just know that it will probably take longer to cook
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) boiling water
1 1/2 cups (115 g.) shredded raw carrots
1/2 cup (77 g.) raisins

For after it's cooked

1/3 cup (35 g.) chopped pecans
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup (82 g.) brown sugar, or to taste
milk for topping, if desired


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 4.

Rinse the rice with water using fine mesh strainer. Place the rice, boiling water, raisins and carrots in an oven safe container covered with a lid, and stir. (If you don't have a lid, then cover tightly with foil.)

Cook for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.

When done, stir in the cinnamon, brown sugar and half of the pecans. Top each serving with the remaining nuts and some milk (if desired.)

29 comments:

Amanda said...

What a unique idea. Those carrots are just beautiful.

Louise R. said...

Great idea, sounds really delicious.

Miriam said...

Ah! What a fabulous idea! I'll make it soon :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Tara said...

I have a question actually: I want to try this recipe and was wondering how sweet it is? I am not a fan of sweet hot cereal (I like butter in my oatmeal, so more of a savory girl.)

The Alchemist said...

Tara- you can keep it more savory by omitting the sugar, and raisins. I think it wouldn't be very sweet at all without those.

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I have never had rice for breakfast but I think that this might be the recipe that starts it all for me. Yum!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Amazing idea (and my daughter is gluten-free now and this would be perfect).

This also would be a great recipe to link up to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS; the theme this week is "SURPRISE INGREDIENT" (What can you hide in your recipe). Please come on over and link up....

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-22.html

Unknown said...

That sounds so interesting! I'm sure the boys would love it. I have also been meaning to tell you how great your pictures are!!!

The Alchemist said...

Michelle -Thank you so much!!

SnoWhite said...

Fun idea -- I like different breakfast ideas!

Kristen said...

Even if there is just a mere suggestion of carrot cake, I am there! That sounds like a really nice breakfast. The idea of using other grains for that meal really appeals to me.

Unknown said...

Yum, this looks really good! Thanks for linking up to Recipe of the Week!!

Stacey said...

Hi, I found your blog through Cooking @ LJ! This recipe sounds absolutely amazing. I love brown rice, I love carrots, I love cake and I love carrot cake! :D
I'm definitely trying this as soon as I have the time. Thanks so much <3

The Alchemist said...

Stacey- I'm glad you found me, thank you. And I hope you like it!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks so much for coming back and linking up to THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS, I addeed this to my menu this week, I hope my family likes it.

We would like to invite you back next Monday for a new theme “Husband’s Cook”; so if you have a post already or want to get your significant other in the kitchen this week, next week’s linky party is gonna be loads of fun, I know I can’t WAIT to see what my “non-cooking husband is gonna make”!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

The Alchemist said...

Tina-thanks and I hope you like it!

Angie A said...

this looks fabulous! cant wait to try it!

Mare said...

This looks delicious. I'm always tempted to try the different colors of carrots in my dishes as well. Thanks for the tip about the red carrot! Can't wait to try this! Follow you through Lisa's Gluten Free Food and Health Carnival. Would love to have you follow me back. http://nonasnotes.blogspot.com Thanks!

The Alchemist said...

Mare- thank you so much, it's so nice to have you.

I enjoyed reading your blog, it's very helpful!

Anonymous said...

If I cut the recipe down in half, since it's only my Hubby and me at home...should I still cook it for 30 minutes?

The Alchemist said...

yes, I believe rice needs to cook for that long. Although maybe I'd check it after 20 minutes, you'll be able to look at it to see if the rice has absorbed all the water.

Or make extra, it reheats well.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is a phenomenal idea. I love seeing carrots of other colors.

I am taking bets, my husband would love this and that is a big plus, for me.

I am featuring this tomorrow at My Meatless Mondays. Stop by.

The Alchemist said...

Sweet and Savory- Cool thanks! I will stop by.

Sara said...

This was interesting, but it seemed like it needs something. I went ahead and cooked it with the cinnamon and added a bit of cloves. Not sure what it needs...

The Alchemist said...

Sara- I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

This recipe is loosely based on rice pudding. With the milk added at the end, it should resemble a rice pudding. The rice pudding I make often, only has cinnamon, sugar, milk and raisins to flavor it.

Our tastes must be different. Thank you for trying it and giving your input.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I totally agree with the quote at the start of your post! And your breakfast rice looks wonderful. I would never have thought of a dish like that - it sounds scrumptious. I love the look of the purple carrots but I have had problems with purple vegetables 'bleeding' before as well - especially purple sprouting broccoli! Thank you for sharing this unique dish with Let's Do Brunch. The linky is now up for this week so I hope you will come along and join in again if you haven't already.

Sara said...

I do like rice pudding and so does my husband. I think I enjoyed it more than he did. But with the carrots, it gets transformed into something new and exciting, but it is like it isn't quite there yet to be spectacular. If I come up with it, I will let you know!

The Alchemist said...

Sara- Great, thank you!

Emmalise said...

I love having rice for breakfast and this is a great recipe--Thanks! I made it with brown rice and cooked it in a pressure cooker since I don't have an oven--it came out well but next time I think I'll soak the raisins and add them later so they won't be as mushy.

Sara, you should add a bit of egg or egg substitute before baking--that's probably what you're looking for...