Sunday, March 13, 2011

Luck Of The Irish Cookies


"If you're lucky enough to be Irish, then you're lucky enough.”

-Irish Proverb



Yes, green M&M's, perfect for St. Patricks day. Also good since well, they are green M&M's. That's why I'm calling these Luck Of The Irish Cookies. Because if you serve these to your significant other, well, you might get lucky.





I used my adapted version of the Neiman Marcus' Chocolate Chip Cookies and instead of the chips, used the M&M's.

I like their recipe since they have a lovely crispness on the outside with a nice chew on the inside. I never use the called for espresso powder. I added it once and didn't like the coffee flavor, it is slight, but not for me. Love coffee, just not in my chocolate chip cookie.





I purchased my green M&M's at Michaels. They have them in all colors. But here's the thing, this 7 oz bag costs like $5.99. My Irish luck was with me though, I had a 40% off coupon to use for my purchase.








May they bring you luck, in more ways than one, nudge nudge, wink wink.





Luck Of The Irish Cookies

adapted from the Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookie recipe

This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies


Ingredients

 
1/2 cup (1 stick)  (113.5 g.) butter, softened

1 cup (204 g)  light brown sugar

3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

1 large egg

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

1-3/4 cups (176 g.) all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1- 7 oz (198.5 g.) bag green M&M's (one cup) divided


Directions

 Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, 150 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 2.

 Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds.)

 Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

 In another bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk it together. Add it to the butter mixture and mix until well blended.

Then don't do what I did. I made the dough in the stand mixer, so I added the M&M's to the dough and let her rip. This broke up the M&M's something terrible.

 So add all but a few tablespoons of the M&M's and gingerly blend them into the dough with a spoon. Set aside the remaining M&M's for topping each cookie.


 Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a parchment paper (or Silpat)  lined cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with your clean hand to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Press a few of the reserved M&M's on top of each cookie.

 Bake for 17-18 minutes for a cookie that is crisp on the outside but chewy and soft on the inside. 19 minutes will give you a more crisp cookie, 20 minutes they will be mostly crisp with a slight chew on the inside. If you want them straight up crisp then cook for 2 or more minutes longer.

Let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hee hee, that's really clever.

Unknown said...

how cute & festive these cookies are! you can never go wrong with chocolate chip, either! :)

i'm hosting a blog hop called mangia mondays & i would love you to share this and any other recipe you may have!

http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

The green M&Ms were always my favorite color. They really make your cookies look eye-popping good.

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

These cookies look awesome. I love how bright that green is!