Monday, August 20, 2012

Frozen Hot Chocolate


"You will find as you look back on your life, that the moments when you really lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love."

-Henry Drummond



I've seen versions of this drink around lately, but I saw one that required cooking then cooling, and I thought, "If I make something called, Frozen Hot Chocolate, I need to drink it now." So I created one that didn't need cooking, so you can indulge without patience. Recipe below.
 First an update of the garden. Summer won't be here for much longer, so I wanted to celebrate the abundance of nature with some photos.

Every time I see this Hydrangea in the front yard I smile because I love the color so much.


Welcome to my rose garden



This is my favorite rose, it survived the move from Los Angeles, 5 years ago where it lived on our balcony. The name is Blue Girl and it's super fragrant, which of course, I love. I've even used the rose petals in the past to make Rose Petal Jelly.


I love the color of this one.



The front porch where we have a ships bell. My husband loves to sail so it's my nod to his nautical ways.


Our green apple tree - I am so grateful! This year our apple trees have lots of fruit! I this this our best year yet for apples.


Our red apple tree



These cast iron birds live on our porch.



Pigeons that also live on our porch. (I have a thing for birds I think.)


Never miss a post! Like The Alchemist on Facebook!




 


Frozen Hot Chocolate

I based this recipe on Hershey's Chocolate Hot Chocolate Recipe only since I was adding ice, some of the milk portion would be water. So I added some heavy cream for, what else? Creaminess. If you make the entire thing with half and half or heavy cream, it will be even richer and creamier. Sort of like a milk shake. If you don't like using cream, just use all milk and know it won't be as creamy or rich.

Makes 1 serving

Ingredients
1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
1/4 cup (59 ml) heavy cream - or double cream, or half and half
3-4 teaspoons Unsweetened Cocoa powder - I used Hershey's - depending on your taste
2-3 or 4 Tablespoons sugar, depending on your taste
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract - If you don't have this, just omit it.
1 cup ice cubes (about a handful)
Whipped cream and sprinkles for topping - optional


Directions


Add the milk, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa, sugar, vanilla and ice to a blender. Let it blend on high for about 2 minutes until the ice cubes have blended well. Taste it and see if it needs more sugar or cocoa for your taste. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired. Drink immediately.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have liked you on Facebook, and copied your feed address into Google Reader!

Unknown said...

I follow you on livejournal and liked you on facebook :o) Your garden is lovely, I miss my blue hydrangea.

Mindy said...

Wow, that hydrangea is stunnning! What an awesome blue!

I'm a Google Reader follower, a GFC follower and will be a FB stalker as soon as I'm done typing this. :o) Don't fret about just getting on, I just set up a page on FB for my blog a couple months ago. So I'm late to the show, too.

I love watching the Lidia cooking show on PBS! What a fun giveaway. Well, for the likes of me anyway. I'm a food and cookbook whore.

My kids asked for hot chocolate today - wish I had seen this earlier, I could have given them the frozen version! I'll surprise them tomorrow and be the best mom ever. :o)

Mindy said...

Almost forgot....what's that quote from?
Okay, off to be a "liker".....

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Your garden is amazing!
I hope our apple trees, look as good as yours come Autumn
Oh I'm visiting from Take a Look

The Alchemist said...

Hey Mindy - Thanks for all of your comments!

The quote I got from a little book called, The Lift Your Spirits Quote book. By Allen Klein. Just another little book I picked up since I love quotes so much.

ms_mystic said...

Hi! Thanks for the trip thru the garden, it looks like a nice place to relax and reflect. I love the unpainted wood on the deck of your porch. It lends a nice cottage ambience.

I've liked you on facebook and follow by email. I am ms.mystic001 at gmail dot com.

Have a great Tuesday!

~Pamela

moonsword said...

I've just discovered your blog and all your wonderful recipes...your Oatmeal Smoothie is fabulous!
Lidia's show was one of my Dad's favorite's...I'd love to read it! Many thanks!

gail said...

liked you on fb
gkuroda(at)gmail(d0t)com

lane said...

I've read you forever on LJ. I'm so glad you're on FB now! I liked you there, so I can share you with friends more easily.
lane @ theoutsidelane . com

Sarah said...

I love hot chocolate, so this is a must try! I would love for you to share this at my link party going on now:
http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/08/share-it-link-party-25.html

Terri said...

Great recipe!
Like you on Facebook as Blue Strong!
Follow you by email as myboyblue11 at gmail dot com
Thanks for the awesome giveaway!
Those are great cookbooks! :)

keshakeke said...

Yay you are on Facebook:) I like you on facebook and I follow you via email!
keshakeke@aol.com

Laurie Reyes said...

I already subscribe by email, I liked you on facebook and I follow you on pinterest!!!

laurie dot reyes1 at gmail dot com.

The frozen hot chocolate sounds great! I love your quotes too!!!

Oh and your roses and fruit trees...I wish I had some! I am currently trying to sprout a Colorado peach tree from a seed...my 8yr. old son and I came up with the idea but we have no clue if it will even work. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

Liked you on facebook.
Can't wait to try this recipe!

Nicole @WonkyW said...

Yummy - the frozen hot chocolate looks delicious! Welcome to FB - I liked your page :) wonkywonderful at gmail dot com

Samantha said...

hi! i liked you on fb (and really like your blog)
-sjchugh@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Welcome to Facebook! I've liked you and I'll share you on my page too. Your flowers are beautiful, I've got such a black thumb I don't even try anymore. It it grows anyway, I get so excited!

Denise said...

Beautiful garden pictures I am always looking for new and easy meals ideas, Love, love, love the quotes I liked you on facebook I am looking forward to more ideas from your facebook posts my e-mail is dogg7 @ sbc global . net

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and it looks great! I liked you on Facebook.

Cindy said...

I like you on Facebook.
cindyskitchen@yahoo.com

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes said...

I like you on facebook! Love the blog!

Sarah said...

This will be featured tomorrow at my link party! Make sure to grab a feature button!
http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/

Tami Von Zalez said...

None of my hydrangeas are Blue! darn ...

Now I know why people list their email addresses like you've noted. DOH (as Homer Simpson would say).

Just picked up a great CA Bed & Breakfast cookbook this past weekend.

Visiting you from MIUM blog hop.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

The Alchemist said...

Sarah, thank you so much!!

I did grab a button!

Annie said...

I like you on FB!

Annie said...

And I also follow you via Google blogger thingy!

sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

such pretty flowers and a yummy treat

Pat K said...

I follow you by e-mail. Thanks for the great giveaway!

Julia said...

I'm brand new to your blog, but I just liked you on Facebook. You have some great recipes on here!!
Julia922 at gmail dot com