Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cookies




 ”Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”

- Will Rogers 


I need to have something already ready for me for breakfast every morning. I am hungry when I wake up. If I don't have something healthy to eat ready to go, I'll just eat whatever sounds delicious to me right then in the moment. For instance, if there is a cupcake laying around, I'll eat a cupcake. Not exactly a breakfast of champions, and not even filling, and not even what I'm really craving.
 
 
Make sure you buy Aluminum free baking powder next time you purchase it. Too much aluminum leads to Alzheimer's disease. I have this great natural vet, and she knows I bake treats for my dogs, she told me I better be using aluminum free baking powder since the aluminum isn't good for anyone including dogs. She told me, "I don't care if you use it for yourself, but I do care if you feed it to your dog." I love that she cares so much about my dogs.

That's why I like these breakfast cookies. Long ago, I made some banana breakfast cookies. They are healthy, filling, and ready for eating when you wake up.


The dry ingredients

This pumpkin spice version is just as delicious. Pumpkin is even a vegetable! I never thought I would be eating a vegetable for breakfast. These cookies are healthy and gluten free.


This is the dried milk I used. One pouch is one cup, the amount called for in this recipe. Make sure you check the expiration on you dried milk, if it smells bad, it probably is. Dried milk doesn't last forever.
 
Full of pumpkin, dried milk, oats, flax seeds, walnuts and raisins. It's like eating a healthy bowl of cereal in a cookie! But even better because you know exactly what's in it since you made it. Speaking of making them, it's easy. A one bowl, stir it up, pop in the oven kind of recipe.
 
 
I buy whole flax seeds and store them in the fridge. If I need ground flax seeds I grind them in the Vita Mix or a food processor. Whole flax seeds last longer than ground.
 
I like to use flax seeds because they are filled with Omega 3 fatty acids. But you don't have to use them if you don't keep them in the house. You can use oat flour or whole wheat flour instead. (If you use whole wheat flour they won't be gluten free, FYI.)
 

Scoop out the dough with a scoop

These are so great because you can freeze them individually and take one out when you need it. So bake once and eat a healthy breakfast everyday for days.


Flatten them out a bit, they don't spread much
 
 
With these in the house I won't have to eat a cupcake for breakfast unless I really want to.




I added raisins and nuts to the top of my cookies
 
 
 

English Ironstone Transferware Plates and Tablecloth available at my Etsy shop,
House of Lucien.


 
Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cookies
 



an original recipe by me, Melissa aka The Alchemist
 
Makes 9 or 10 Cookies, recipe can easily be doubled and cookies can be frozen, wrapped individually then placed in a zip top bag, for at least 6 months.
 
 
Ingredients
 
1 1/2 cups (130 g.) oats - gluten free, (if you want to make these GF)- old fashioned or quick, but not instant
 
5 Tablespoons ground flax seeds or oat flour (oats ground in the blender or food processor till a powder) or whole wheat flour - if you use whole wheat flour they won't be gluten free
 
1 cup (3.2 oz.) (90.7 g.) powdered nonfat milk (make sure it's not expired, it does go bad)
 
1/4 cup (38 g.) brown sugar
 
1 tsp. baking powder
 
1 tsp. baking soda
 
1/4 tsp. salt
 
1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
 
3 heaping Tablespoons raisins, plus more for topping cookies (if desired)
 
3 heaping Tablespoons chopped walnuts plus more for topping cookies (if desired)
 
1 can (15 oz) (425 g.) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
 
1 egg
 
1/3 cup (79 ml) honey
 
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 Degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 4.
 
In a large bowl add all of the dry ingredients and whisk together. Then add the walnuts and raisins and whisk again. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a large spoon until well combined.
 
Scoop out dough with an ice cream scoop onto parchment paper lined (or silpat lined) cookie sheets. With the back of a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon pat the scoops down just a bit. They don't spread out much.
 
Add raisins and walnuts to each individual cookie if you wish.
 
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
 
Let cool on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in the fridge for 5 days covered in an airtight container. You can also freeze these. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place them all in a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Take one out when you wake up and by the time you want to eat it it should be defrosted. (about an hour or less.) Or you can always take one or two out the night before.
 

17 comments:

Anne Birdsong said...

Hi Melissa, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm, and I’m visiting from the Clever Chicks blog hop.

I have to say, I'm down for pumpkin spice ANYthing! I'll have to give these a try for my six hungry kids. Thanks!

Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

icakepops said...

So healthy and yummy! Love the Will Rogers quote!

Jenn Erickson said...

Mmmm...your breakfast cookies look absolutely delicious! I love all the healthy ingredients and the wonderful fall spices! Off to pin!

Jenn

Unknown said...

Once again, this looks so yummy!!!! We love having you at Whimsy Wednesday!
Kelly,
Smart! School {House}
www.smartschoolhouse.com

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

I love your recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us at Cast Party Wednesday! ~Sheryl~

linda @ Axiom at Home said...

I love the idea of breakfast cookies!

HungryLittleGirl said...

Oh these sound and look delicious. Perfectly fitting for an oatmeal addict like me! Thank you for sharing at FFF. Please come back Sunday to vote for your favorites. Jutta

Unknown said...

wow, little bit healthy, little bit cookies! Thanks for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
Steph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Chaya said...

These look like they are filled with flavor. I have to make these for my husband.

These are being featured at My Meatless Mondays, this coming week.

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

These are right up my husband's alley! I'm going to make and freeze a batch for him to grab on the way out the door to work. Thanks for the fabulous recipe and for linking up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the Friday blog hop! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
-meandmr.com

Carrie said...

Oh, that sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

boulevardsg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helena said...

I would love to make those but we don't have canned pumpkin or pumpkin spice where I live. Can I replace it with puréed pumpkin? What species are there in pumpkin spices?

The Alchemist said...

Hi Helena, Yes, pureed pumpkin and canned pumpkin are the same thing.

Here's a recipe for pumpkin pie spice -

3 tablespoons ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons nutmeg

1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice

1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves

Directions:

1. Combine spices in a small bowl, mix well to combine. Store in a small jar or spice container.

Nimrat Saxena said...

Very nice collection of blog you have shared here so interesting and informative so thank you very much for sharing such kind of blog.
Coaching Centres in Rohini | Chemistry Coaching in Rohini | Economics Classes in Rohini | Accounts Tuition in Rohini

Institute of Digital Marketing said...

I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this blog. I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my very own site now 😉
Digital Marketing Course in Pitampura | Digital Marketing Institute in Pitampura | Digital Marketing Training in Pitampura