Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Easy No Crust Cranberry Pie

 
 
“At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.”
 
- Albert Schweitzer 
 
 
Whoever invented the phrase, easy as pie, was talking about this cranberry pie.  When I first saw this recipe, I thought that's probably really good (lots of good reviews) or it's just meh. Well, I'm happy to report it is the former.
 
 
Chopping the walnuts, this is the most work I had to do for this pie
 
It's really tasty, and it's one of the easiest things I've ever made. Seriously, chopping nuts and melting the butter was all the work I did, (if you call that work.) You really just stir it all together. You don't even have to thaw the cranberries. A cinch, this pie is.
 
I'm not even a huge cranberry fan, I mean they're o.k., just not exactly my favorite. But I really enjoyed this pie. So much that I ended up eating it for breakfast everyday till it was gone. (I have a sweet tooth, what can I say.)


Cranberries (frozen is fine) and walnuts go in the dry mixture to coat them before adding the wet ingredients

Of course it's not exactly a pie. Sort of like a cross between a pie and a cake and perhaps a skillet cookie. Or maybe like a cranberry clafoutis. The texture is like moist dense cake. I love the crunch that the walnuts provide. The cranberries make it tart, but the cake is sweet, but not too much so. I found if wonderfully well balanced. It's great with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.


Spread it in the pan, (the mixture is thick) mine is so yellow because I have my own free range chickens that produce eggs with bright orange yolks. If you use store bought eggs it will be more pale.

The original recipe calls for almond extract. I couldn't believe I looked into the pantry and didn't have any. I used vanilla. Next time I may use almonds instead of walnuts, and use that almond extract and a little vanilla extract. I happen to like the flavor of almond extract, but I know lots of people don't. If you are one of those people just stick with vanilla.



Add cranberries to the top to make it look pretty

I'll be honest some of the reviews I read said they thought this was more like a breakfast cake, maybe a coffee cake. But many desserts are good for breakfast, and I think this is one of them. In my opinion I think it's more of a dessert.

At the holidays I think it would be a great change of pace to have this along with the usual pumpkin and apple desserts. I personally make 3 desserts for Thanksgiving and I think this would be a nice, different option. It's so easy, you could make it for a wonderful fall dessert with a weeknight meal as a delightful surprise for your family.


Sprinkle on some crunchy sugar, it's not necessary, but I really loved the sweet crunch on top.


I'm hosting a giveaway for a $50.00 gift certificate at my Etsy shop, House of Lucien. Head over to Shabby Art Boutique to enter! The giveaway ends Saturday November 17th. And stick around, Kerry Anne is having "Simply Christmas" going on until December 25th.

House of Lucien is now on Facebook! At House of Lucien you'll find vintage dishes, pretty teacups and teapots, silver serving pieces and more. Shabby chic to traditional. English transferware and ironstone. I ship worldwide and offer free gift wrapping. Over at House of Lucien's Facebook, everyday I feature an item with a quote called, Today's Treasure. I'd love to see you there!
 




 
 

 
 
Easy No Crust Cranberry Pie

adapted from Crustless Cranberry Pie from All Recipes

If you want to do the almond variation, use sliced almonds instead of walnuts, and use 1/2 tsp. almond extract and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.

Ingredients

1 cup (150 g.) flour

1 cup (200 g.) sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup (50 g.) chopped walnuts

1 1/2 cups cranberries (135 g.) plus 1/2 cup (45 g.) for topping - frozen is fine

1/2 cup (114 g.) melted butter

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Coarse sugar - a few tablespoons for sprinkling on top of pie - optional, but a nice touch

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 4. Grease or spray a 9 or 10 inch pie plate (mine was 10, if you use a 9 inch your pie will be a little taller than mine, FYI.)

Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups (135 g.) of cranberries, and the chopped walnuts ( or almonds if using) and toss to coat. Stir in the melted butter, the beaten eggs and the vanilla extract (or almond and vanilla, if using.) If you are using frozen cranberries the mixture will be thick. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Place the 1/2 cup cranberries on top of pie, well spaced to look decorative. Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of the pie.

Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

15 comments:

Mindy said...

I love cranberries and I love almond extract. This has my name all over it. Yum, yum!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

This looks so wonderful! I'm pinning it to try next week! Thank you for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Ooh, what a good one!

Coming from foodtastic Friday. I saw you have an Etsy Shop. Feel free to link it up on our Handmade Market...
http://www.mommyladyclub.com/p/handmade-market.html

Adorned From Above said...

This looks delicious. I have a link party and would love to have you share this and any other posts. It is called Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. The link to the party is
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
I hope to see you there.
Have a great week.
Debi @ Adorned From Above

Unknown said...

oh that looks so good. I love cranberries they are delish and beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
Steph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Crystelle Boutique said...

I've never had cranberry pie before... How fabulous! It looks delicious in the photo's... I will have to give this a try!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

hugs x
Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Delish!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing!!! yummy! I'm a new GFC follower . I hope you'll check out my blog too and follow back ;)
Have a nice week end ;)

http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

Now this looks A----MAZING :)I'm your newest follower from Marvelous Monday, would love it if you could come by and follow back?
Erica
www.ericastartwalking.com

Julie said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

I just have to say, your little dog is super cute. I think that every time I visit your page. And your other fella is pretty cute too. I'm so sorry that you lost him. :( My little one will be 13 in March. I wish they could live forever.

Have a great week!

Julie

Paula said...

I've never heard of cranberry pie before, but this sounds delicious :) I love almonds and almond extract so I think I'd go that route.

Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!

Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

I just featured your delicious recipe in my Thanksgiving round up post! Thank you so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Michelle said...

super yum! I love cranberries. not a fan of walnuts but I bet I could sub pecans. Please share this at Iron Chef Mom: Cranberries http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/11/iron-chef-mom-cranberries.html

thistlewoodfarm said...

This sounds delicious and easy and fun! Just right for a person who only makes chocolate chip cookies from the pull-apart section of the grocery store! Thanks for linking up!

Have a blessed and very merry Christmas!

blessings,
karianne